Sunday, May 9, 2010

Fresh Seafood Porridge

I have a colleague whose father owns a commercial fishing boat. Occasionally, he would bring some of the best catches from the sea to the office.   Knowing that I love to eat porridge, he would supply me the finest pick of fresh fish and prawns for my cooking. I would normally add a portion for him. His selected catch is really different from what you find in the wet market or super/hypermarket.  



Cooking fresh seafood porridge is easy but the timing is very important.

For two servings, the required ingredients are :-

1.    One cup of rice
2.    Two slices of Threadfin fish (Ikan Kurau or Ikan Senangin) 250gms
3.    Four large white prawns (udang putih) 200 gms
4.    ¼ Teaspoon of cooking salt.
5.    ¼ Teaspoon of Ikan bilis powder.
6.    ¼ Teaspoon of white pepper powder
7.    ½ Teaspoon of sesame oil
8.     spring onion, cut.
9.     young ginger strips.

Preparation.

Rinse and drain rice with water and place in multi-cooker, Add in ½ litre of water and start to boil at maximum temperature. Once boiled, set the temperature to medium. Continue to boil the porridge for another 1 ½ hours, stirring and adding a bit of water every 5 to 7 minutes until the content reach the l litre mark with the required viscosity of the porridge. Add the fish, prawn, salt, anchorvy (ikan bilis) powder and pepper.  Stir the porridge and bring to boil.  

The porridge is now ready to be served.  Sprinkle some sesame oil, cut spring onion and ginger strips.                


Hmmm….mmmm! This porridge is really the best I have ever tried so far. One bite on the succulent prawn and I can feel the natural sweet juice oozing out in my mouth. Delicious! I get the same sappy and heavenly feeling when my teeth sank into the fish. 


No comments: